Telangana CM Unveils 9 New Government Medical Colleges, with 8 More on the Horizon for 2024
IBPS RRB Office Assistants 2023: Prelims scorecard released; mains exam scheduled for September 16
Empowering Safety Measures: Himachal Pradesh Introduces 'School Safety' App for Disaster Management
SSC Delhi Police Constable Notification 2023 released; Apply for 7,547 vacancies
UKPSC RO ARO Recruitment Drive 2023: Registrations starts
PM Modi to Engage with Vice-Chancellors, Educators, Students at UGC's G20 University Connect Event
RBI Recruitment Drive 2023: Apply for 450 assistant vacancies
UPPSC Staff Nurse Recruitment Drive 2023: Registration date extended; apply for 2240 posts
State Coordinator Recruitment Exam for Social Justice Ministry: Admit card to be released today, exam on Sep 15
Google Winter Internship 2024: A Gateway to Tech Excellence
Sunday, Oct, 2023
Home / Five Universities That Provide Scholarships To Refugees and Displaced Students
Five Universities That Provide Scholarships To Refugees and Displaced Students
Education is our fundamental right, but it may be difficult for displaced persons and refugees to secure an education- while they live in foreign countries due to their status as foreign nationals. But fortunately, many universities worldwide are aware of the struggles and hardships that refugees and displaced persons face. Here’s how they are helping them discover their dreams of foreign education.
by Pragti Sharma / 21 Sep 2022 17:42 PM IST / 0 Comment(s) / 713
Education is our fundamental right, but it may be difficult for displaced persons and refugees to secure an education- while they live in foreign countries due to their status as foreign nationals. We all know that war has a way of dragging the rug on any plans. Due to these challenging situations, such as wars, disputes, etc., refugees and displaced students suffer the most. They have to compromise with their education which is an essential part of our lives.
But fortunately, many universities worldwide are aware of the struggles and hardships that refugees and displaced persons face. Here’s how they are helping them discover their dreams of foreign education.
Five universities offering scholarships for refugees and displaced students
1. University of Essex: As part of the University of Sanctuary Scholarship for Afghan Refugees programme, the University of Essex is providing a full fee release for more than five undergraduate or postgraduate students who will study at the university for the 2022-23 academic session.
- Afghanistani refugees who have been awarded UK Asylum status or Discretionary/Limited Leave to Stay due to an asylum application.
- Those with Humanitarian Protection, as an outcome of an asylum application or via a dependants’ claim.
Aside from the full-fee waiver, the scholarship will also include university accommodation and a 5,000 pounds bursary in order to support living and study expenses for refugees and displaced persons.
Interested students must apply for admission by November 20, 2022, if they plan to register at the University of Essex in the January 2023 session.
2. University of London: The University of London offers 28 full-fee scholarships allowing refugees and displaced persons to study via online mode regardless of location. The degree programmes in this scheme include both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes across various domains, such as computer science, accounting & financial management, law, business administration, and marketing.
Eligibility criteria: The application is available to students who have secured a proposal to study one of the programmes.
3. Yesbud University: Yesbud University, Zambia, provides a Refugee Scholarship programme, which will include all tuition fees and registration fees for foreign nationals who hold refugee status living anywhere in the world to learn any programme at the university.
Eligibility criteria: The application for the scholarship will reflect the standard admission procedure to study at Yesbud University. Once students get admitted to the programme they have applied for, they will be eligible to apply for the scholarship scheme.
4. Columbia University Scholarship for Refugees and Displaced Students: Columbia University provides scholarships in order to support displaced students around the globe, unable to complete their higher education.
- Students hold refugee status living anywhere in the world.
- Students have obtained US asylum or submitted a US asylum application.
- Students are in the US under Temporary Protected Status
- Students are Internally Displaced Persons.
- Students are displaced Afghan students on Humanitarian Parole or with Special Immigrant Visas.
The scholarship will include a full tuition fee and accommodation assistance as they seek their undergraduate or graduate degrees across all 19 Columbia schools & affiliates. Students will also obtain support, help, and mentoring from the scholarship body, student groups, and schools of Columbia University.
While the university is not accepting applications for the academic programmes during Fall 2022, please check their website when the application re-opens.
5. University of Glasgow: The University of Glasgow delivers scholarships for applicants in the UK on humanitarian grounds who are toiling to seek higher education. This scholarship will include all undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses at the university.
This scholarship offers a full tuition fee waiver for the period of study where refugees or displaced persons are not qualified to cover their tuition fees via public funds. It also offers an annual £5,000 stipend and university accommodation when needed.
While the 2022-23 academic intake application has shut down, students should check the university’s website when the scholarship application re-opens for the next academic cycle.