FMGE Dec 2022: Registration Process Starts, Exam On Dec 04
CBSE Class 10 &12 2023: Sample Paper Released
Haryana TET 2022: Exam Date Released
RBSE Announces Class 10 & 12 Supplementary Result 2022
Karnataka 2nd PUC Supplementary Exam 2022: Result Announced
Karnataka 2nd PUC Supplementary Exam 2022: Results Announced
Services of Education Providers Will Be Regularised in 3 months, says Punjab Education Minister
Maharashtra SSC & HSC Supply Exam 2022: Result To Release Today
UP Board Class 10 and 12 Compartment Exam: Result Released
NEET SS 2022: Result To Release Today
Saturday, Oct, 2022
Home / Confused About Choosing a University Abroad? UK Vs Australia
Confused About Choosing a University Abroad? UK Vs Australia
UK and Australia are one of the most popular destinations among international students. If you are confused between the two, you can look at each step of the application process and the difference in course structures and student life for both places.
by Pragti Sharma / 11 Aug 2022 12:51 PM IST / 0 Comment(s) / 85
UK and Australia are one of the most popular destinations among international students. The two destinations have highly ranked universities and an excellent independent student lifestyle. If you are confused between the two, you can look at each step of the application process and the difference in course structures and student life for both places. In order to decide which country might be more suitable for you, please read the details.
The application process for the UK
- Students can apply to up to five universities through UCAS.
- Students interested in dentistry, medicine, or veterinary courses can freely choose four universities, and their fifth choice must be a non-specialist.
- Students must complete one personal statement that is attached to all applications.
- Applicants must also include proof of English language ability and proficiency, grades, personal details, and extracurricular activities.
- The application fee is £26.
The application process for AUSTRALIA
- Applicants must apply to their preferred universities directly and take note of entry requirements, important dates, deadlines, and application details.
- International students can apply via post or online by downloading application forms directly from the university websites.
- Applicants must include proof of English language proficiency and ability, course preferences, academic transcripts, and a synopsis of connected employment experience.
- Most universities demand a non-refundable application fee ranging from AUD$50 (£29) to AUD$100- While some universities may drop these charges if you apply online.
UK Course Structures
- Students select their degree specialty before reaching the university.
- Students mostly choose one subject or a joint/double degree.
- Bachelor’s degrees usually take 3-4 years to complete, master’s degrees often take one year (when studying full-time), and Ph.D. programs can take more than years.
- Some degrees, such as medicine, will promote practical experience after the first few years. But most courses will only encourage placements and internships in the final year of the degree.
- Students cannot change or transfer universities if they wish to change course. They will have to drop out or begin the process again. But some universities may compromise or have a solution for this.
AUSTRALIA Courses Structure
- Students take a range of classes in around four subjects each term in the first year.
- It is ordinary for students to select two subjects for a double or combined degree.
- A bachelor's degree takes only three years, but combined courses or specific subjects may take more than three years.
- Students are nurtured to take on placements and internships throughout their degree.
- International and domestic students can transfer to other universities. To do this, you will need to check your university's transfer policy.
Accommodation and student life in the UK
The legal alcohol drinking age in the UK is 18, so students have the option to undertake outside the campus to clubs and pubs in the local area as well as on campus. Students must spend their first year in university rooms on campus and share living spaces and kitchens. Students can join diverse societies and sports games to keep up their hobbies or extracurricular activities. Students can even try new activities or sports. After one year, students can move into privately rented accommodation and share the property with classmates or friends. Students can attend various social and sports events organized by the university's student union.
Accommodation and student life in AUSTRALIA
Clubbing and socializing are parts of every student's life. The legal drinking age in Australia is 18 years, but it is specifically for licensed public venues. The law to drink alcohol in your home is different in Australia, depending on what state you are in. It is prevalent among students to choose on-campus residential accommodation in Australia. But limited numbers of rooms are available on the campus, so some options include renting privately, apartments, and homestays. Students spend their free time on the beach because most Australian universities are near the beach. Student unions run many teams and clubs you can join according to your interests. Playing outdoor sports is famous in Australia, and there are opportunities for students to explore and learn new things.
Exams and teaching in Australia and the UK
The majority of international students choose to go to Australia for higher studies. Students, especially international students, are encouraged to study independently but also get support from their tutors and other university staff throughout the year and during exam season. Classes at the university include seminars, workshops, and a combination of lectures with some practical lessons on your chosen subject.
The UK and Australia use a percentage system while grading assignments and exams. In the UK, the universities award degrees as first-class honors (1:1), upper and lower second-class honors (2:1, 2:2), and third-class honors (3), leaning on the percentage band.
The system is almost similar in Australian universities, but the awards are known as (HD) High Distinction, (D) Distinction, (C) Credit, and (P) Pass.
Cost and financial aid in the UK
- The average expense for a bachelor's degree costs up to £30,000 per year for all international students.
- The average expense for a master's degree is around £17,110 for all international students.
- Students holding UK citizenship can apply for Student Finance for financial aid with their living expenses and tuition fees.
- The majority of international students go for part-time jobs, and it is possible for some international students depending on the visa restrictions.
- The UK offers various scholarships for international students to help with the tuition fees or overall studying costs.
Cost and financial aid in AUSTRALIA
- The average expense of tuition fees for international students in Australia is AUSD$30,840 per year.
- The average cost for a master's degree in Australia will cost between AUS$22,000 and AUSD$50,000 per year.
- Many students work part-time alongside their studies to be independent and pay the fees themselves. International students can work up to 40 hours every two weeks when university classes are in session and unlimited hours outside term time. For more information, students need to check their visa allowance.
- Students can take benefit from the university, government, financial, and private scholarships in order to get help with expenses and tuition.
UK Term dates
Most UK-based universities commence their first term in the month of September, the second term in January, and the third term in April, with holidays at Christmas and Easter.
AUSTRALIA Term dates
In Australia, students have the option to begin university in the first semester, which commences from the month of March until June, or the second semester from July until October. Students who want to begin in the first term need to apply by December at the latest, and for the second term, the deadline for the application is May. Yet, many domestic students apply much earlier than that, so students need to make sure that they get their application as soon as possible.